There are times I finish doing a podcast recording when I am left questioning the very fabric of what I think I know about everything in the channel. Episode #7 of Tigerpaw Radio is one of those times. I had the good fortune of interviewing Jay McBain, the Principal Analyst for Ecosystems, Channels, Partnerships & Alliances at Forrester, and let me tell you, the content is explosive. I think it should be required listening for everybody in the IT and office equipment channels who are not only looking to survive disruption, but to profit from it.
Because I want you to listen to the podcast, I’m not going to give away all the details in this blog. However, because I can never keep a secret, I will give you a few insights to whet your appetite. Here are 5 nuggets based on Forrester research gleaned from the interview.
- The coming demise of current business models. Over 76% of global CEOs think that the current business models we all know and love won’t exist in 5 years. That is not a long time!
- The end of many industries is nigh: Nearly 47% of all jobs could be replaced by technologies that exist today.
- 75% of the workforce will be Millennial by 2024. Many of you reading this may be part of this massive shift in workplace demographics. In another 4 years, those of us who are GenX or Boomers will be the minority in the workforce.
- 73% of Millennials prefer marketplace buying. It’s not just the workforce that is changing, it’s also the consumers who buy our things. This is going to be incredibly disruptive for those in the traditional reseller market.
- It’s laws, not buying preferences, that are protecting the reseller channel. And as we all know; laws change to reflect current realities. Expect the laws to change, and not in the reseller’s favor.
My friends, that is only 5 nuggets out of 50 in this interview! Listen in on an intense and eye-popping conversation as Jay and I explore the coming storm that the channel will face in the next few years. More importantly, learn some invaluable advice on how your business can transform and grow as the “ecosystem” replaces the traditional channel. It’s not a question of “if”, but rather of “when.” This podcast will make sure you have the facts to come out a winner.
You can download Episode #7 of Tigerpaw HERE. Be sure to leave your comments and don’t forget to subscribe so you don’t miss a single episode going forward.